Thursday, October 24, 2013

My first real scouting excursion.

I'm Legal!
Today I got out of work early enough to get a lot of outdoorsy stuff done. I finally got my deer and bear license at Cabela's. It is actually one license that I can use for deer, bear and small game and it only cost me $27! After that I went home and played with the dog then hit the woods. This time I was in full camo and on a mission. People say its impossible to find deer in Maine. I beg to differ...





     
 I went to a place about 20 minutes from my house called the Massabesic Experimental Forest. It is some thick bush with ATV trails cutting through it. Most of it is kind of like a bog but there are some oak ridges and pine patches. I had very low hopes for finding any deer sign at all having read that deer are few and far between in Maine. I found some great rubs though and a few tracks. I probably found as many rubs as I would have where I used to hunt in Northern Michigan so I am hoping the deer population will be similar. I found some very large bones that I attribute to a moose but if those are from deer I am going to have one hell of a drag ahead of me if successful. A cool thing about the places I've hiked here are the different pieces of history you run into. There are these long rock walls all over the place. Some run for tens of miles. You can find them on the side of the road and sometimes in the middle of the woods like the one I found today. You can also find graveyards basically anywhere. I ran into one today. Most of the grave stones were from people born in the late 1700s and died in the early 1800s. I took pics but used the memory card they were on in my trail camera I left there. I will upload them later.

This is a picture someone else took of the grave yard I found.

No comments:

Post a Comment