Sunday, October 27, 2013

Maine Public Land Bucks; Who says they are hard to find?

I went out and pulled my trail camera today. It was still there which is a refreshing change from my experiences on Michigan public land. I took my wife and Rusty with me this time. I got two bucks and some nice turkeys on cam.



Notice the knot on his G2.








The 8 point will be my target. I could tag out probably pretty quickly and have some venison in the freezer with the fork horn but I have to at least give the 8 point some attention for a while. The rut should be kicking in soon. We noticed a scrape on the way in. Right now, based on my work schedule, I am going to go in and hang a stand in there tomorrow afternoon and probably sneak out and not hunt. I get pretty sweaty hanging stands alone. Tuesday I don't know what time I will be getting out of work so I may give it a go. If I get out later than noon though I will probably let the woods rest another day and do an all day sit on Wednesday. The 8 point visited the area around 5am and again at 6:45pm. The fork horn hangs out all day apparently. The gun opener is Nov. 2nd. I am off work from Tuesday until Nov. 5th! I have to have one hanging by then. After I get a deer my focus will be a bear. Its one of the rarest of feats to kill a bear spot and stalk in Maine but I have some ideas of where I might get lucky. Tips are hard to come by but I have been pouring over my map book and different websites trying to narrow my search and find some land at least holding decent amounts of bears. For now I need to find a place to shoot my bow some more and get after that nice 8 point. I am a little worried I left too much scent in the area already, especially with a dog and my wife in there. But we were in and out so hopefully no too much was disturbed.

No comments:

Post a Comment