Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Building a Killing Machine

I figured if I was headed to Maine, land of Moose and Bears I would need some heavier fire power. I snagged a gun from my parent's house that my dad had killed a deer with a few years back. It's an Interarms .30-06. It had open sights and the front sight is missing so I have no idea how my dad killed a deer with this thing. I did some research and found that this is actually a pretty darn good rifle. I picked up a Nikon Prostaff 3-9X40 BDC for it along with the mounts and rings. Tonight I put it all together. I was going to have it done by a professional but lack the funds motivated me to give it a shot. I have put on scopes before for customers but never for a gun I will have to shoulder. But, I figure I will feel really cool if I kill with a gun I scoped myself.

Gotta love that BDC reticle.

I recently subscribed to the Northwoods Sporting Journal; Maine's version of the Woods N Water magazine after the referral from a famous Maine outdoor writer I started emailing. Its funny, it even has some articles that I can tell are published in Woods N Water from authors from Michigan. Anyway, I read an article that confirmed a rumor I had heard that you can hunt or fish on any land that is not posted in Maine. This seems crazy to me but as I took a drive yesterday there were all kinds of trucks parked around a bunch of farms. Farms that had turkeys covering their fields. So I guess that is probably what those guys are doing.
I think I found a place to deer hunt. Or at least look into for deer. I'm going to check it out later this week. I became a Maine citizen today so I will be buying my license later this week as well. Thankfully for the resident price.

No comments:

Post a Comment