Wednesday, December 18, 2013

The End: Tips for first time deer trackers.

Hunting season has come to an end and instead of tag soup I could make a hefty stew with all my Michigan and Maine tags unpunched. I learned a ton this year and have lofty goals and an almost stupid confidence for next year. I only got out with the muzzleloader once in the two days I had off last week. I regretted that when I finally dragged myself into the woods. The snowy woods is always amazing. Its like hunting in a totally different world.
I almost missed this beautiful day.

Thompson Center Omega.

You don't get evenings like this from the couch.

Almost too cold to get out of bed...almost.

Cloudy blue skies over badlands.


I saw deer tracks all over the place. I tried tracking for the first time. I have some tips for beginner trackers that can hopefully get a leg up the first time they try it by learning from my mistakes. First, make sure you have room to track. I tracked one buck track for 2 hours only to run into posted signs. I guess this is why tracking usually takes place much farther North of here. Next, if you can not decipher how old a track is; go out right after a fresh snow. Then the tracks are unmistakably new. I went all out on the track I decided to follow. I went over a creek and up countless mini-mountains. The snow was only 6" deep but very packy. I would say my stalking was a 6.5-7 on my 1-10 scale of silent and deadly to death metal concert. I did not see any deer but I saw lots of tracks that make me hopeful for next year and lots of coyote and snowshoe tracks that may need my attention when the snow melts a little.

Buck tracks crossing a creek.

Chasing a doe.


He ran me through the thick stuff!

 I used the first of my 2 days off to hang out with Rusty and took him to a local park to get some energy out. He deserves his kind of fun as much as I do mine.

I love sharing sunsets with this guy!



I brought one of his toys for him to find.

Saco River.


Park graffiti on a cracked wall. Symbolic? I guess.

This is why I run him so hard. I get 2 seconds of him resting.


 
We've been getting a ridiculous amount of snow the last couple of days. I have about 3 feet in my front yard right now. I don't think I will be getting in the woods anytime soon.


In the meantime, I shot a Hoyt CRX 32 yesterday. The draw was set at 28.5" and 73# and I prefer 29" and 70# but I took only 2 shots and robinhooded. So I am pretty sure I will be moving on to a Hoyt. Hopefully I can keep the Alien X and come up with the funds for a Hoyt.

No comments:

Post a Comment