Sunday, December 1, 2013

Back to the old drawing board.

I sat on this fallen tree for a while on a oak ridge.
So gun season has come and gone. I went out on Thanksgiving and ended up getting lost as my GPS showed me in random spots on the screen. It was pretty frustrating as I had to give up on hunting and focus on getting out of the woods while bumping deer. I heard at least 2 that I got close to but never saw as I was more worried about getting out before dark. I ended up having to use a compass and wade through a knee deep bog that was too thick to see through in 16 degree weather. I was wearing my Danner boots that I like to use for still hunting because they are pretty quiet but they are only water resistant. My pant legs became frozen tubes of hardened fabric around my legs for the last hour I was out there. I did find a few decent spots I may want to hunt next year though. If I want to hunt anymore it will have to be with a bow until December 15th and only in a very limited area in Southern Maine that I have not gained access to yet.

This lone pine tree was in the middle of a swamp I hiked through. It was the only tree of this thickness and stuck out from the rest.

I found this in the swamp as well. I am not sure if it is a deer rub or made by a bear. There was no bare spot on the tree that looked like a typical deer rub.

It might be hard to see but on the way to work one day I got behind this truck that had a monster on the tailgate. So big in fact that it couldn't fit through the toll station. I have to learn how to snow track deer and find a place to do it.
My wife's parents came in for Thanksgiving and we put up our Christmas tree and lights on the house this week.
Screwing around.

Hot Chocolate!

Rusty helped.

My gorgeous wife all bundled up.

End result.


I made a goals list a while back and I am going to continue to add to it and alter it as developments happen. I keep learning of new activities that are adding to new goals. 2014 should be a very eventful and crazy year of new experiences for me.

New Goals For 2014:

  1. Kill a great Maine buck - I am learning so much every day on tactics and places to go. I think I should be able to put down a monster next year by using some Midwest ideas that most people don't take advantage of over here. The hardest part will be not to take the first spike that walks by.
  2. Hunt at least one other state (Not Michigan) - I am thinking New Hampshire will be the easiest since it is close and has hunting on Sunday. Massachusetts is another possibility. I have always thought of Pennsylvania as a sleeper state for good deer hunting as well. 
  3. Turkey hunt for the 1st time and take at least one Tom - There are turkeys everywhere. I just need to learn the tactics.
  4. Bear Hunt - It is what it is. It is the ultimate hunt to me. I cannot wait to start scouting and getting some cameras in the woods starting in the spring I hope I can get my brother to come out and try it with me.
  5. Start fly-fishing again - There are some great opportunities here and in the surrounding states in fresh and salt water. I enjoyed the fishing and tying my own flies back in high school and I think I will catch the bug if I get back into it.
  6. Squid fishing - I just recently learned about fishing for squid. I can't wait to try it.
  7. Salt water Big Game fishing - I don't know the game yet but I really want to try to get into a big cod or tuna.
  8. Striper and Mackerel fishing - I want to see what all the fuss is about.
  9. Get Rusty bird hunting - A lot of the guys I have met bird hunt like crazy. I think it will take a little work but Rusty and I could have a lot of fun and be pretty successful on some partridge and grouse.
 I am sure this list of goals will be much longer by the time winter starts to end. If I can knock off 3 out of 9 I would consider 2014 a success.

No comments:

Post a Comment