Thursday, February 17, 2011

Michigan Elk?


Yes indeed, Michigan has a wild elk population. So large in fact that there is a season open to residents to hunt them. While talking hunting with some local guys, I brought up that I am going to start applying for Michigan elk. To my surprise (and theirs I guess) they did not know about Michigan elk at all. There are any elk and antler-less only licenses drawn for each year and its only $4 for residents to apply. The typical point system like so many other states use for returning applicants applies here. If you don't draw you earn an extra listing in the drawing the following year. Some people draw in the first few years but most wait 5+ years.

So, the only real crappy part of this whole Elk hunting in Michigan is that if you are drawn for an antler-less only tag you have to wait TEN YEARS before you can apply again! This seems outrageous to me for people to try for antler-less only tags. Who in their right mind would apply for the antler-less tag? I guess older people who want a chance to hunt elk in their home state but for people with hopes of taking a bull this is nuts! If you draw an any elk tag you can't even apply for the Michigan elk tag again EVER. Well, this will be my first year putting in for it and I'm trying to decide whether to put in for any elk and wait for what seems forever and possibly not being able to go in the next 5-10 years when I get drawn or if I do go hunting and am unsuccessful then I'm screwed forever.

So, do I:

1. Put in for antlerless only and get to hunt sooner but then wait 10 years to even apply again? If I do this I would hope the population would somehow explode in the next years and the regulations might be changed.
or
2. Do I put in for any elk and wait close to a decade for a one time shot?

Not sure now. I am going to let it rattle around my melon for the next few months until I apply.
Michigan DNR Elk Info.

No comments:

Post a Comment