Saturday, February 19, 2011

Application Season

I have already posted about my application sent out for Mule Deer Archery Season in North Dakota, but I have decided on the other hunts (or future hunts) I am going to apply for. Here is the outlook on the apps I'm going to hit this year;

Michigan: Obviously these are the hunts I have to apply for. I will always buy the over the counter deer tags.
Elk- Its $4 to apply and I get a preference point. I am applying for Bull only since that's what I want to hunt and I can hunt cow elk elsewhere if I want the experience. Hopefully get drawn sometime in my lifetime. I will keep applying every year until I do.
Bear- Its $4 to apply and again I start gaining preference points. Application period is May 1st - June 1st. Results posted later in June but I won't draw for at least 4 years it seems. I will keep applying until I draw, plus I can use the preference points in any bear area once I collect them.

Utah: I will be applying for Preference Points only looking forward to building my points for future hunts. Application period is February 1st until March 10th. Its $10 for the application fee and only $10 for each species you want to apply for.
Mule Deer- Want to start building points for a bow hunt in the mountains.
Elk- A decent state for Elk and probably the second cheapest application for me. It will take about a decade but worth applying for every year at the low price and a great DIY area for elk.
Antelope- I don't really have a huge interest in hunting 'lopes but if I don't start applying now, I won't be able to later if I end up wanting to and its only $10.
Shiras Moose- I want to hunt moose some day for sure, and again $10?! Why not.
Moutain Goat- Again, $10. I'm not really passionate about the hunt but who knows if I will be someday and if it takes 15 years to draw I don't want to be starting to apply when I'm 35 and trying to chase them at 50.
Sheep- Same deal as Rocky Mountain Goat but I do want to get my hands on some of those horns someday.
I have heard Wyoming is making many changes that will take place in 2012. I don't have details so I'm hoping I'm not wasting money.

Wyoming: Yes, Wyoming. These hunts I can't wait for. I believe I have to pay the license fee for Archery of $30 and the Application fee of $14 on top of how much each tag costs but these hunts would be well worth every cent to me.
Mule Deer-$40 each year for one point and many many years of wishing and applying but awesome an awesome hunt.
Elk- $50 each year for one point and even more years of wishing and applying but the best elk hunt to me I can think of.
Antelope- $30 for the point. I don't know about this one. Depends on how much money is in my wallet come application day.
Application period for Wyoming is pretty awesome since it doesn't align with Utah or Michigan so I don't have to choose between states. Its July 1st - September 30 if you are applying for points only.

We're still waiting with crossed fingers for our North Dakota tags. Should find out in a few weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment