Thursday, November 6, 2014

Deer are dropping.

What kind of a hunting and fishing blog doesn't post anything in October?! Well, the kind that has a newborn baby and hasn't hunted or fished. The Rut is in full swing and deer are dropping everywhere. My brother has scored on 2 deer and I have been out twice with my bow. I am dying to get in the woods more but work and family come first.
My brother took a nice buck in Michigan with my old Alien X bow. He later shot a doe with it as well.
I found an area to hunt just 5 minutes from where I work. The first time I walked the property I saw plenty of does and great area. Its a mix of thick brush from a clear cut surrounded by thick swamp and some oak flats. I put 2 cameras out and hunted the place twice during bow season but had no luck. There are woodcock all through the clear cut which was cool. I don't know if I have ever ran into those before. I found a giant bed bigger than any deer bed I have ever seen behind some houses with a few rubs around it. I set up a camera there and another one on an obvious trail leading in and out of an oak flat. The camera on the bed, unknown to me, had a half full card and the only tree I had available to put it on was any an inch and a half around so I came back to a full card of 350 pics of nothing from a few windy days. The camera only ran for two days but I did get some deer pics and some cool pics of a gray fox. The camera by the oaks caught what I thought it would; a bunch of deer fleeing through the exit route. I got zero pictures of bucks. When I went to pick up the cameras I hunted for a few hours and there was new buck sign around which gave me hope but I only saw one deer while hunting the area and that deer busted my coming back to sit in the oaks after retrieving a camera. It rained like crazy both days I tried to hunt.
A rock wall runs straight through the oak flat.






Gray Fox


















Bird

Something in this pic bottom right. Probably the fox again.


An old make-shift bridge over a creek. It is made from wood from an old signs from a retail warehouse that isn't used anymore.














I am going to try to get out tomorrow for an all day hunt. Its gun season and I have an any-deer tag burning a hole in my camo.

Fall is the best time to take Rusty to the beach as it is deserted and not too cold yet.














Nolan is getting big and changing everyday. We celebrated his first Halloween.





























































1 comment:


  1. When you're tired, you want to relax after a stressful working hours, you need to have time to take care of the kids active.
    Please visit our website and play exciting flash games.
    Thanks you for sharing!
    gardening

    ReplyDelete